Combining a new, all-aluminium design with state-of-the-art grinding technology, Colonna Coffee have created Nespresso® compatible capsules that are brighter, stronger and more characterful than ever.
Owning a Nespresso Machine is a privilege, as you get a chance to try a huge range of innovative coffee. Yes, you can buy the beans, the grinder etc, and follow the steps to create a perfect cup. But the Nespresso Machine has allowed coffee makers to try and make it as easy as possible.
Colonna Coffee are one such innovator. They have created a range of capsules, which capture the taste of espresso. Offering a subscription service offering 3 different flavours from as little as 55p per pod. Signing up is a breeze, you select the “genre” of coffee you want.
Colonna Coffee Capsules Genres:
- Foundation – Coffees in the Foundation genre are balanced, clean and complex — with low bitterness and a pleasing acidity. Flavours like these can only be achieved by growing the right coffee in the right place, with meticulous attention to detail during the harvesting process.
- Discovery – Variety, growing conditions and processing methods all have dramatic effects on a coffee’s flavour characteristics. The Discovery genre celebrates the diverse and expressive flavours made possible by these distinctions.
- Rare – The world of coffee is like a pyramid. All of the coffee that Colonna selects and curates sits right up the top of that pyramid. The coffees in this genre are the glint at the very tip of the apex. These coffees are sought after and by their very nature are in short supply.
Once you have selected the genre (or a selection of all 3), you then choose long or short and finally how many you want over how many weeks. You can have 40, 80 or 120 capsules over 2 – 8 weeks.
A great idea is the inclusion of a free OPAL One Capsule machine if you sign up for a minimum of 12 deliveries. The OPAL One utilises a unique silicon brew chamber, eliminating unwanted dilution and features both higher pressure and higher temperature brewing — delivering a fuller-bodied, stronger coffee than ever before. This feels like a no brainer, you get a free coffee machine to use your capsules with.
Colonna Coffee also offer compostable coffee pods in the short variety.
Colonna Coffee Capsules Compostable Genres:
- Waykan – The dynamic flavour characteristics of Guatemala’s famous Huehuetenango region are showcased beautifully in this offering from Waykan.
- Rimiro Natural – Grown in the Ngozi province of Burundi, this 100% Red Bourbon crop undergoes quality checks at every stage of the process, ensuring only the best beans make it into each lot.
Now for the taste, I was a huge fan of the Rare pod. It has a deep rich taste to it, you can taste the heritage in this brew. It’s not bitter and has a great crema after you have poured it. A splash of milk fills out the taste but doesn’t take away from it.
The Discovery is elegant and light, showcasing a coffee’s delicate characteristics. It’s not as deep as the Rare but offers a fantastic coffee experience.
The Foundation was my least favourite. It was very floral and had sweet notes which I felt took away from the taste. My first taste I thought the milk had gone off, but it was simply the coffee itself.
I found the OPAL One offered a better brew of the pods, then my Nespresso machine. The coffee was hotter and the pressure for the brewing was a lot higher. Colonna Coffee offers help for Nespresso owners and have some hints to get the best coffee experience. This involves wearing the coffee to make sure you have the right amount of water for the brew time.
Overall, Colonna Coffee are in another league of their own. They truly offer highstreet coffee in the comfort of your own home.
Why not take a look at our other Coffee, or find us on Facebook and Twitter.
Be the first to comment