A groundbreaking £47, portable, handheld device instantly turns seawater into fresh drinking water – and weighs less than a bag of sugar – is available at a special reduced price for the first 30 days of sale from Indiegogo.
London based, Quench Sea is the world’s only low-cost portable seawater desalination device making it the ideal companion for outdoor enthusiasts – from sailors to campers and survivalists to travellers. It’s capable of making up to two litres of palatable water per hour, all through a manual handle-powered unit that fits into a small bag. Delivery is expected in February 2021.
The device provides an affordable, convenient and safe alternative to boiling seawater – users simply pump it for as long as they need to provide the volume of clean water they want. The product is hard wearing and reusable, with only the filters needing to be replaced (time period varies due to usage).
Every Quench Sea order will also help to save the lives of others. The company behind the project has pledged that for every unit sold it will donate an additional device for use by humanitarian water aid partners, as part of its ambitious vision to solve the global water crisis.
Lee King, CEO of Hydro Wind Energy, the company behind Quench Sea commented:
‘Whilst Quench Sea is the product of hundreds of thousands of hours developing solutions to help solve the world’s water crisis, we soon realised that its weight, dimensions and cost also make it an ideal product for the adventurer market.’
Key features include:
- A glass of water in just 5 minutes
- Filters out salt, microbes (bacteria and viruses) and microplastics
- Easy to carry, lightweight (600g – confirm – <1KG)
- Size of a conventional iron – should fit in a backpack/rucksack
- Hand operated, no batteries, no electricity
- Guaranteed 2 Liters per hour (but up to to 3 in optimal conditions)
- Super cheap membrane replacement = $10 (hopefully recyclable)
- Springwater taste achieved with activated charcoal
- Rich in healthy minerals
- Minimum equivalent 8 Glasses of water per hour (8 x 240ml = 1,920ml or 1.9 litres)
- The membrane has a lifetime depending on different influence factors such as pressure, throughput and the quality of water. Membrane specifications say it can last up to 1 year or 18,000 litre
- Integrated water storage/container and cup
How it works: Quench Sea is a device that combines a hydraulic system, triple pre-filtration and a small reverse osmosis membrane to desalinate seawater into freshwater using manual human power. At sea or on the coast, it converts seawater into clean fresh drinking water instantly.
Quench Sea has an inbuilt ultrafiltration and microfiltration system to remove suspended solids, bacteria, viruses, parasites and microplastics. The first sediment filtration removes the most damaging sediments and particles. Seawater is then forced under pressure through a 0.01 micron membrane removing all contaminants before the final reverse osmosis process.