An internet speed test (Speedcheck etc) measures the connection speed and quality of your device to the internet. It does so by running multiple consecutive tests that analyze different aspects of your internet connection, namely ping (latency), download speed, and upload speed. Each of these values represents the connection’s specific qualities, which you can read more about in the paragraph after the next. These should help you understand the final speed test results. But before we get to these, we first want to discuss how to perform each test.
When listening to Spotify on my Valco VMK20 headphones, I want to make sure I have the best speed. The best speed will get me the best quality of music.
- Running a speed test with Speedcheck
Firstly go to https://www.speedcheck.org, then click [Start Test]. Once completed you can review the test results. Speedcheck measures three aspects of your Internet’s speed:
- Latency – This is the number of milliseconds it takes for your Internet connection to respond.
- Download speed – Megabits per second your connection downloads at, the stability of the connection and the data transferred
- Mbps upload – Megabits per second your connection uploads at, the stability of the connection and the data transferred
2. Checking Windows network adapter speed using settings
Within Windows open Settings. Then select Network & Internet, followed by Status. Under the “Advanced network settings” section, click on View hardware and connection properties. Under the “Properties” section, find the network adapter (Wi-Fi or Ethernet). Determine the connection speed in the Link speed (Receive/Transmit) field.
3. Contact your ISP directly and get them to run a test
Though this is a long way round, you will get the most accurate information by contacting your ISP. Most ISP’s have a direct line for sales and support. They can be contacted and can run a line test over the phone for you. I spoke with my ISP BT and they were able to inform me of my internet speed within 10 mins.
Overall, checking the speed with Speedcheck seems to be the simplest and quickest option. It also means I know when the speed is best to stream my music.